Columbus State University
Columbus State University’s Cunningham Conference Center includes a 270-seat banquet facility, break-out seminar rooms, CSU’s Leadership educational program, John Cunningham Sales Institute, and technology incubator.
Formerly the site of the CSU President's house, the Cunningham Conference Center (CCC) artfully establishes a welcoming presence at the campus edge, while also paying homage to the 1950's campus Brutalist fabric. The siting on the campus edge, combined with program space for non-traditional campus studies, establishes a duality that defines the architecture. Many aspects of the building design reinforce this duality. For example, the transparent side of the building faces the community, and the more opaque facade serves as a back drop for the baseball field. The consistent rhythm of window patterning on the academic and incubator portion of the building contrasts with the more irregular form of the ante space for the conferencing center. Dichotomous relations are instilled throughout the interior via materials, color, and patterning. Despite the very modest budget, optimal siting and simplicity in plan garner recognition as a signature structure on campus.